Spicy Shrimp Pate and Fried Macheral Fish
I wonder how to create name in English for this menu. Such a long name, right? Thai name is "Num Prik KaPi/ Cha-Om Khai and Pla Tu Tod". They come in a set and serve together with steam white rice. Sometime also serve together with fresh vegetable or quick boiled vegetable. Fried Salted Mackerel Fish = Pla Tu Tod, Fried Acacia Omelet = Cha-Om Khai, Spicy shrimp paste Sauce = Num Prik Kapi. This menu is very popular for local people and I believe lots of people love to eat "Num Prik Kapi". The pungent chilli/shrimp dipping sauce may take a little getting used to for Western palates. Make sure you have a very good shrimp paste (gkabpi) for this recipe.
- 2 mackeral fishes, around 400 grams (or frozen salted mackeral)
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons minced dried shrimps
- 3 red shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10-15 chili peppers (depends on how spicy you like)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 tespoon sugar
- steamed or fresh vegetables (cabbage, cucumber, tomato, lectuce, carrot, string bean, etc.)
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the mackeral fish until cooked. Remove and drain.
- Pound red shallots, chilies, garlic in a mortar and pestle or by using the food processor, until mixed well.
- Add dried shrimps, shrimp paste, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Mix all ingredients until the mixture becomes smooth paste.
- Transfer to a serving dipping bowl. Serve with fried mackeral fish and steamed vegetables. Thai people also love to eat this recipe with acacia omelette.
Acacia Omelette (kai jeaw cha-om) : this recipe is optional. (If you cannot find acacia in your local grocery store, you may try to use other fresh vegetables instead.)
- Wash acacia (cha-om) and nip the leaves and young leaves then cut into 1-inch portions.
- Add the beaten eggs in a bowl, and also add the acacia. Stir until all mixed well.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add the beaten eggs with acacia in the wok, fry until cooked and golden, then remove and drain. Slice into cubes.