Thai pork satay - Moo Satay
''Moo Satay'' is one of the most famous street foods in Thailand. This appetizer can be found almost everywhere from street venders to restaurants. The 2 common dipping sauces are matsaman dipping sauce or nam jim arjad accompanied with toasted bread. This appetizer is not common to make at home since it can be easily bought at a low price. However, people will make this dish at home for some occasions such as for bringing to a temple. It is easy to make and can be a fun activity for a family or a group of friends, threading slivers of pork on skewers.
Satay Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground roast peanut
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice/water
Preparing the Satay Sauce
- Mix the roasted peanut with the curry paste. Heat 1 cup of coconut milk over medium heat until oil surfaces, add the curry paste mixture and stir well.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, stir again, then reduce the heat. Stir constantly to prevent from sticking. Season to taste with sugar, tamarind juice and salt.
- When the sauce thickens, remove and leave to cool. Stir lightly and turn out onto a sauce dish.
Moo Satay Ingredients
- 500 grams pork (moo) loin (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (see how to make coconut cream)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh galangal
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh lemon grass
- 1 tsp. finely sliced fresh turmeric (or substitute 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp. ground roasted coriander seeds (see how to dry roast)
- 2 tsp. ground roasted cumin seeds (see how to dry roast)
- 2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt (sea salt is preferable)
- Bamboo skewers
- Fresh cabbage for garnish
Preparing the Satay
- Wash the pork, cut into thin slices about 1" wide and 3" long. Pound galangal, lemon grass and turmeric finely. Toss with the pork.
- Add the remaining ingredients, toss well and leave to marinade for 30 minutes. Thread the meat lengthwise and char-grill over medium heat until done. Brush occasionally with the marinade.
- Arrange on a serving dish, serve with satay sauce and cucumber salad.