Khanom chan is an ancient, nine-layered Thai dessert that is used during a variety of auspicious ceremonies and is considered a blessing presaging a happy and prosperous life. In addition, as a dish kanom chan is sweet and fragrant and suitable both as a dessert and as an informal snack.
The main ingredients of kanom chan are flour, sugar, and coconut milk. In terms of the nutritional benefits of this dish, it provides energy-giving protein, carbohydrate and fat. The colors used to embellish this dessert are completely natural and include colors derived from a variety of herbs as well; among the various colors, for example, there is purple, obtained from the anchan (butterfly pea) flower, green from pandanus leaves, and red from krang (Iac). Thus, there are added nutritional benefits from the use of herbs as well.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 15 pandan leaves
- 5 cups jasmine essence water
- To make the jasmine essence water, soak the jasmines in the water in a bowl overnight close the cover.
- To make pandan green colouring, slice the pandan leaves and Pound or blend with 1 cup of jasmine essence water. Remove it's chip.
- Heat the jasmine essence water and coconut milk in a pot, stir frequently until cooked. Leave to warm. Pour into a big bowl.
- Put all kind of flour into the bowl and knead well. Set aside.
- Boil the sugar and jasmine essence water, simmer until the syrup become thick.
- Separate the flour into two bowls. Mix the colouring with the first part of flour. So one part of flour is green another is white.
- Pour white flour into a tray to make the first thin layer and steam. Remove from the steamer.
- Pour green flour into a tray to make the second thin layer and steam. Remove from the steamer.
- Repeat 6. and 7. again and again until fine. The last layer should be green.
- Leave to cool , cut into pieces to serve.
- You can met Khanom Chan on thai general street or thai fresh - food market . 5-10 bath of piece.